Sunday, June 23, 2013

THINGS ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM HOME

Now that my first week has almost concluded, I thought I'd introduce some items that I've found very different from home.
 
There are no hot water tanks, rather some appliance that electrically heats the water as it runs through. It does not do a very good job, and the water is lukewarm at best. The lodge does suppy flip flops to minimize getting shocked, which happened to me when I attempted to adjust the water flow. Lesson learned.

No washing machines/dryers at the lodge. I'm fortunate the housekeeper does laundry on the side. After a handwash and air dry in the cloudy Nairobi weather, I have fresh t shirts, socks and undies, all for 500ks (Kenyan Shillings), which is less than $5.

There is a nice flat panel Sony TV in my room, but not many channels. I usually watch the local news stations, which are always interesting. For example, I saw a news story of a Matatu driver that had his radio stolen. He liked his radio so much, he hired a Juju man (witch doctor) to cast a spell on who took it so he could get it back. After two days, no dice; the radio was gone.




I already talked about the traffic; it's insane. Since it is winter here, the weather has been 60's-70's, overcast and rainy. I saw the sun for ten minutes yesterday and was so excited I took some photo's. It feels chilly with the dampness, but I guess that's better than being in a suit on a 100 degree day.


The lodge is nice, and the staff are really great...



No comments:

Post a Comment